Wednesday, March 16, 2022

There is Life in the Blood

Donating blood is giving the gift of life. Not only is it healthy for the donor, but it is many times the lifesaving agent for someone else. No one has to attend medical school to know its importance and necessity for a body’s proper function. The blood is the transportation agent that delivers nutrients and oxygen from our brain to our toes, and everywhere in-between.

When Sophia was in the second grade, she got extremely sick because she was sepsis. The blood that once was aiding her growth and health got infected and instead of circulating life, it was transporting infection all over her body. Fortunately, we got treatment quickly and after many days in the hospital, her blood once again was doing its job of sustaining her life.

God was the first in the Bible to shed blood. After man first sinned, “the Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.” (Genesis 3: 21) He did not order them from Amazon; He was the first to kill an animal. Fast forward to the New Testament and the story of the prodigal son when the father said, “Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate.” (Luke 15:23)

Our Heavenly Father continued to make sacrifices for us through the blood when he allowed His only Son to shed his perfect and innocent blood for our sins. “…Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.” (Hebrews 9:22)

What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh, precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow.
No other fount I know, nothing but the blood of Jesus.

There is power and life in the blood, and when we accept that Jesus’ blood was shed for us, we can share in His inheritance, like the prodigal son did with his father’s wealth.

Yet apart from that blood, there is death, which leads me to my current medical situation.

For those who may not have followed my story from the beginning, it began with a terrible accident that fractured my talus bone, a well-hidden bone inside the foot that is hard to break. Once broken, it is also hard to heal.

The journey of the last 3½ years has been plagued with chronic pain, surgeries, crutches, getting better, and regressing. There was a fear at the accident that if surgery did not happen quickly, the blood would not properly supply the bone with much needed life. I was transported for trauma surgery 100 miles away in hopes of healing.

It appears even with the many efforts of the last several years, the talus bone has not received enough life-giving blood and has led to its death and collapse. For the last four months, I have not been able to walk unassisted. My scooter and crutches have aided in my transportation around the house, work and to doctors in three states trying diligently to find answers and options for recovery.

With a few – but no good – options on the table, the hard decision has been made for me to have an amputation. It has been a very difficult decision to make, but sometimes the right decisions to make are the hard ones. I could either continue to try and salvage my leg, or salvage my life, and I chose life! Next Wednesday, March 23, I will have a left below the knee amputation in another state.

I have treasured all the love and support so many of you have given me and my family over the past years. It has definitely been the worst season of my life, but even in the midst of it, I have never felt a larger outpouring of love.

My journey through this next trial will be hard and difficult. But honestly, I’ve already done the hardest thing in my life by burying my beautiful teenage daughter. I can do this. I WILL do this. And I will come out the other side physically stronger, able to walk, climb, and run again, and continue to give God the glory for the good in my story.

If you would like a closer look at my journey, I’ve started a personal Instagram page that will chronical my story. I’m not sure exactly what is in store for me or what this journey will look like, but I’m glad to share my story with you.

Instagram: lyndasfisher

Remain close to Jesus who, while He was without sin, shed his blood for you and me, so that we could have life

*Photo: Matthew and me at the beach to put my left toes in the sand one last time. 

7 comments:

  1. What a difficult decision...but you are the daughter of a Mighty King! I have no doubt He is guiding you and will continue to support you because both of your legs are, and will always be, firmly planted in Him! You are in our thoughts and prayers as you transition to this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie... what a hard decision for you. Sending prayers for strength and comfort as you move into this next stage of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and this difficult journey. You have been amazing and inspiring through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers go with you as you take this step in trust and faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for you Lynda as you embark on this journey. Your faith through all of this has been so inspiring to all of us and especially me. God has you in the palm of his hands and prayers for a successful surgery today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have no adequate words for how much we love you and your children. We are intensely praying for you, your recovery, and a wonderful outcome. We love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers my sweet friend. You are the strongest person I know and teach us all how to rise strong. Love you!

    ReplyDelete