Thursday, August 24, 2023

Run for the Nurses

 


It was the worst day of my life. One moment I was safely cycling with my 18-year-old daughter; the next, I was kneeling beside her lifeless body. I was injured from head to foot after being struck from behind, but those wounds did not compare to the pain of losing my daughter Sophia.

Through the medical journey of trying to heal my damaged body, I have encountered an array of medical professionals, many of whom I never imagined I would have to face. Four hospitals, four surgeries, many surgeons, and appointments in multiple states, all in search of the best medical care for my situation. I have received great care at all the hospitals with the constant care being from the nurses who have been by my side.

Nurses have checked my vitals, prepped me for surgery, administered my medications, and kept other medical staff up to date on my situation. My care would have been incomplete without their amazing knowledge and actions throughout the past five years. Understanding that medical care involves more than my physical healing, I’ve had nurses hug my neck, shed a tear with me, pray for me, and make sure my immediate emotional needs were also addressed.

Nurses are the superheroes who wrap the wisdom of medicine with the care of humanity, meeting the needs of the entire person as they go.

My physical pain was constant since 2018, until healing from my last surgery – an amputation. And while I now fit the definition of someone having a disability, be assured, I am far less disabled today than I was a year and a half ago when my mobility consisted of a scooter or crutches.

I was told after the accident I would never run again. My ankle sustained too much damage to handle the stress caused by running. But now, with the absence of my damaged ankle, I can run!

So, I will Run for the Nurses! I will run in honor of those who work long shifts and extra hours ensuring their patients have the best care possible. I will run to support ABAC’s nursing students, so the next generation of nurses will be well equipped and trained. And I will run to prove miracles still happen!

Most everyone has been positively impacted by the life of a nurse. Will you honor them and join me in this race? This race takes place on Saturday morning, October 28, 2023, on the beautiful campus of Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in Tifton, Georgia. Runners can choose the 5K route that goes throughout campus or a half marathon that extends beyond campus into north Tifton.

If you can’t run, will you consider giving a donation to the School of Nursing to support ABAC’s students? You’ll have the opportunity to send in a photo of your favorite nurse and honor him or her while helping future nurses.

My life abruptly changed in a moment, and nurses have been aiding me regularly since that time. It is because of their care and support, I will run this race proving life can be recaptured and that life can be lived beautifully, even after tragedy.

Click to Run with Lynda

Click to Donate

Click to be a Sponsor

No comments:

Post a Comment