Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Unanswered Questions



After countless scans and more blood tests than any lab person wants to read, the findings of my injuries – while not great - were actually better than what people scurrying around the ER appeared to fear.  No one would give me a drink because of the possibility of me needing surgery, and oh, how I begged for a Diet Dr. Pepper to somehow quench my thirst and ease my pain.

The ER doctors and nurses tended to me and asked where my worst pain was – it was my left ankle.  I remember forcefully telling the person manipulating it and trying to figure out exactly what was wrong, “I really don’t like you right now.”

The CTs showed I had a talus fracture in my left ankle, a compressed vertebra and multiple transverse process fractures in my back. The right side of my body seemed to take the force of something in the accident and my right hip was already heavily bruised and purple. The blood from my right ear required more than a dozen stitches to bring it back together.

When the great staff at the hospital did their due diligence and realized I did not need immediate surgery, I was able to have my Diet Dr. Pepper. I was in excruciating pain, but there was no internal bleeding and all my internal organs seemed to be functioning as expected.

My fractured talus needed special care, so it was decided I would be transported to Macon on Monday for surgery on Tuesday.  They were gracious to schedule me first thing in the morning so if I was okay, I could come home the same day. Six screws and nine hours later, I remember waking up and knew with the amount of pain I was in, I did not want to go home. I stayed in the hospital one more day and should have stayed longer, but unfortunately, we had to return to bury our daughter.

I was discharged on July 4, and we requested no visitors so we could rest and prepare for visitation the next day. I was sent home with more medicines than I cared – opioids, blood thinners injected through my waist area, and a catheter down my leg of pain meds that was in theory going to keep me out of pain for a few days.

In reality, my pain spiked beyond measure. I was doing fine in the recliner one moment and then less than 30 minutes later I was screaming, “Cut if off, cut it off.” At that point, I did not care if someone cut off the cast or my leg; I just had to have relief. James unwrapped the bandages, cut through the gauze, and cracked the hardened cast to bring relief to what we could only imagine was my ankle swelling beyond the cast itself.

“I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”  Psalm 139:14

Our bodies are incredible and have the ability to protect themselves and heal themselves. It is truly amazing I am still here on this earth after sustaining such a trauma. However, that leaves so many unanswered questions.

If I could sustain being hit, why not Sophia? If God spared me, why didn’t He spare her? God surely had the power to protect me, so why would he allow me to live and Sophia die?  Surely God loves her as much as He loves me. 

Is her life really over? Has she done all that was required of her here on Earth? Why would an 18-year- old girl with so much life and love be struck down in an instance?  Did God not hear my prayers for protection of my children? Does He not care about the heartache we are feeling?

These questions haunt us as we try to understand God’s plan in the midst of our pain. We continue to try to make sense out of it all.  But we can’t. We do not have answers to these questions that roll daily through our minds. Sure, we know all the “Sunday School” answers, but those don’t currently bring comfort to our aching hearts. 

No answers now….at least none that feel right in this mother’s mind.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for your truthfulness. As your family comes to mind, I continuously pray for y'all and Sophia's friends. This is a thankful time for those that blessed our lives with fun and laughter and an array of emotions. We miss them and those tangible moments. So as you hold these irreplaceable moments, may you be able to have some sweet new memories made... God will listen...for every emotion you have.... Love y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers for us and her friends. I know many are still struggling, but I know God can bring a revelation to them as well.

      Delete
  2. The questions that haunt your family also haunt my family. There are no answers to ease the pain and heal the heart! Our family will never be complete again and the hole in our hearts will always be there. Familiar places and objects trigger memories that bring tears to our eyes. Questions come up daily, and always the question "why?". The loss of your child,regardless of their age, brings unbelievable pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, losing a child happens more than I wanted to know. I'm sorry for your pain and hope peace comes again with time.

      Delete
  3. Truly tears the entire time I read this post..Mrs. fisher I did not know your daughter, I only knew Mr. fisher as my daughters Principal at len Lastinger, he always greeted her with such grace every morning we walked inside, it breaks my heart so much to hear of loss of child, as I couldnt imagine :( I pray for peace & guidance from God for you & your family. -
    Sincerely , Lindsey Adams & Kylie ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your prayers and kind words. Richard loves his job and the children in his building. I'm glad she and you could feel his love.

      Delete
  4. Prayers are with you. Love y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many thoughts and passages remind me of songs ...and sometimes it might be a cheesy 80’s kind of song ....BUT the song “When Answers Aren’t Enough” has a beautiful phrase that says “where your heart will find a safe and peaceful refuge!” I pray that safe and peaceful refuge to guard your heart and your mind! You are a beautiful soul, Lynda, and an amazing mom! Praying for you all in this week of Thanksgiving.
    Mary Griner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. We made it through Thanksgiving okay. It was hard, but being around all our family surely helped. Thanks for your kind words and prayers.

      Delete
  6. Dear Lynda,
    I have been so heartbroken of your family’s horrible tragedy in losing your dear Sophia. This is my perspective....
    I feel because God gives us all a free will then he allows things to happen due to that circumstance. It’s not always right and certainly not always good. More often, awful, because we’re all human. It’s simply horrific in the tragic sense of what happened to Sophia. In no way was the accident excusable, and certainly not fair. I can’t explain it because I don’t personally know your pain. However, I trust, as Christians, we must keep faith in Him. It doesn’t mean we can’t be angry. I can’t imagine all you and your family have experienced over the loss of Sophia. My grandmother told me nothing compares to the loss of the child. It isn’t right nor fair, but I trust that’s why God gave us his son. I love you and I will continue to reverently pray for your family. Peace be with you today and every day. Blessings especially during this upcoming holiday season. 💜✝️💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers and insight. Love you, Heather.

      Delete
  7. Praying for everyone in your family. I don’t realize what it was like to loose someone but my family was very close to realizing that fear. I pray God will give you understanding over a period of time. The knowing of why it happened and why God didn’t stop it would be helpful I am sure. I tell you for the present the why is not a great as who it was. Remember the great times and the great person for now and the God will reveal the why. Tell everyone about her. Tell everyone the great things she did. Help her friends and your family. Live out who she was a celebrate her. This is one thing I want my family to do. Celebrate don’t agonize over me being gone. She is not gone she is in a better place than us and we are feeling sorry for her. She is saying I feel sorry for them. She is under the care of the Lord now, celebrate that. She got to Heaven first, so she won that race she’s first.
    Stevie Walker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I know she celebrates and wouldn't trade with me, the emptiness is still there. We will celebrate and continue to share her story! Thanks for your words!

      Delete
  8. No one dies if they are a child of God. There are two places our residency lies from the moment we are born. Here on Earth and in Heaven with God. Going from here to there is like going on a vacation. Some people get to go sooner than others. That choice is made my our creator. My daughter was one of Sophia’s best friends. I assure you...Sophia is still here doing things on Earth. I see it often through the actions of some of these young people who were close to your gorgeous red head who is now having the time of her life. If you will listen carefully she is saying, “Mama, be happy. I will see you soon. It is so much better here. I am having so much fun. You have no idea.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she would not want to return, but I surely wanted more memories with her and her friends. I miss the laughter around the house and the chaos that comes with teenagers. She loved Kaylee so much!

      Delete
  9. Lynda, Richard and Boys...my heart still breaks for you daily. You are in our constant prayers. I cannot even begin to fathom the hole you all feel in your family. I love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete